At Verulam School, students study either French or Spanish from Year 7 through to GCSE. Giving students the opportunity to study one language for 5 years, provides them with a depth of understanding and an ability to manipulate and produce the language with spontaneity and confidence.
Lessons are delivered using a wide variety of teaching resources and methods. The target language is also regularly used to give instructions and to communicate in the classroom.
Key Stage 3
In KS3 students will learn to:
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
- write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
- understand and communicate with increased spontaneity, independence and accuracy.
- transcribe words and short sentences that they hear with increasing accuracy
- translate short written text accurately into the foreign language.
How parents can support their child’s learning?
Parents can support their child with organisation of Vocabulary folders (vocabulary lists will be attached to google Classroom at the beginning of each year), and helping them to learn their vocabulary in short, regular sessions (we strongly recommend 3 x 20 minutes of vocabulary revision per week). Students should also use Kerboodle, SENECA and Memrise.