We are pleased to announce that this academic year, Verulam School became a member of the IBSC (International Boys’ School Coalition)
The IBSC membership connects us with dynamic professionals around the globe who share a commitment and passion for advancing schools and the learning experiences of boys. As an organisation, the IBSC seeks to enhance the culture within boys’ schools to unlock the potential of boys around the world by improving educational practices. Boys’ schools foster high-quality attributes within boys and promote their ability to:
- Become good men;
- Live with integrity, resilience, and strength of character;
- Build compassionate and supportive natures;
- Think creatively and imaginatively;
- Forge strong friendships and camaraderie that last a lifetime;
- Listen and communicate better;
- Create a passion for the arts – music, drama, dance, visual arts, and more;
- Navigate the world of social media thoughtfully; and Build the foundation for many more desirable attributes on their journey to adulthood.
As IBSC members, we gain exclusive access to the IBSC Why a School for Boys? resources, Continued Professional Development opportunities for staff and access to the IBSC Action Research, a program that encourages collaboration among educators in member schools around the world. To date, researchers have completed hundreds of projects and reported unique data at IBSC Annual Conferences in South Africa, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, the United States, and the United Kingdom. More than 300 school faculty members have participated in the program. Many of those 300 action researchers felt so inspired by the experience they have become instructional leaders for action research in their schools. Each September, IBSC announces the topic for the next round of action research and invites applications from teachers in member schools.
In addition, staff will now have the opportunity to participate in the premier professional development opportunity for boys’ educators, the IBSC Annual Conference, which highlights the best learning practices for boys. Hosted by member schools around the world, the global gathering of boys’ educators creates the ideal environment for collaboration and idea sharing. Throughout the year regional conferences and online classes delivered to members’ desktops continue the exciting knowledge exchange.
Our staff also get access to:
- A growing list of books for boys’ educators that provide valuable insight for our community. IBSC global research initiatives and reports.
- IBSC’s quarterly newsletter, The Compass.
- An expanding repository of transgender resources to help member schools better understand the needs and experiences of transgender and gender-nonconforming students, faculty, staff, and parents.
- The IBSC Exploring Boys’ Education Podcast. Opportunities to participate in the IBSC Teacher Exchange program.
- A searchable IBSC Member Directory so we can connect easily with colleagues worldwide. Searchable career postings at IBSC member schools to recruit new talent.
A number of the UK’s most elite boys’ schools are members of the IBSC, and we have already begun to develop strong relationships with these schools, organising visits and sharing good practice. In 2023-2024, our staff are working on an Action Research project with Harrow School, Aylesbury Grammar and Berkhamsted Boys’ School, looking at how Artificial Intelligence will impact on education and the workplace.
In May 2023, Verulam School hosted its first conference for boys’ school educators, Let’s Talk About Boys. As a result of this, and the ongoing work in collaboration with the IBSC, Verulam School is now in partnership with St Paul’s School, with staff working on three exciting projects over 2023-2024.
This is a fantastic opportunity not only for the staff at Verulam but also for our students, as we hope to utilise these links and develop collaborative learning opportunities, trips and visits. For more information, click here.