The Verulam model of learning is based upon 5 key pillars:
Verulam’s Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Students are at the centre of the learning process and are given the skills, input and guidance to be able to take more responsibility for the full learning process in terms of: Thinking – Planning – Producing – Evaluating – Improving.
- Students will be analysing their work in more detail by using book polishing as a key means of developing self-reflection, self-regulation and SMART Target setting. (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time specific.)
Class Books/ Folders
SAll subjects have a classbook/folder. This is used to develop key subject skills and practice.
- Checking system in place in each subject area. Students need to understand the value of the system and this will be taught explicitly. Every department will devise an approach/strategy of checking and feeding back on the work in the classbooks.
- Some open assessments will take place in all subjects. (Where the classbook is allowed to be used in the assessment).
- Book Polishing will be the key element of the classbooks.
All worksheets, additional sheets stuck in. Presentation Policy in place.
Learning Skills/Habits Book Polishing:
- R.A.G – Blue Key Learning box/highlighting for key learning and end of unit learning. Red – Amber – Green used by students to review the quality and depth of their understanding.
- I.R.T – Dedicated Improvement Reflection Time is used to develop student thinking. Reflection is the key element for all subjects to complete.
Book Polishing needs to be visible and used in lessons. Every subject to explicitly teach Book Polishing and the relationship between class book and assessment book for that subject.
Exam preparation and revision skills present.
All subjects to publish their calendar of key learning assessed pieces. 9, 10 and 11 published as a three-year programme of key learning pieces.
All key learning pieces marked in detail with Assessment for Learning sheets completed. These will contain dialogue between the teacher and the student and SMART targets will be set for each of these pieces.
- Timetables set for 7 and 8 and 9,10 and 11.
- All published on Show My Homework.
- Home learning complements the teaching and learning approach.