National Citizenship Service
Many of our senior pupils gain a great deal from participating in the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme during which they learn a skill, undertake community service and take part in expeditions. This is not only enjoyable, but an excellent preparation for life after school. However, for some pupils the time needed for this is a disincentive due to other commitments.
A great alternative is the National Citizenship Service which is available to pupils in Years 11 and 12 and runs for three or four weeks during the summer holidays.
Amazingly the three or four week experience costs only £50 and reduces to £25 if you qualify for free school meals. Pupils who have undertaken the NCS project have gained in confidence and experienced a lot.
The NCS journey involves:
- Be Epic – Feel the freedom of the outside world for five days away from home at a PGL site in Lincolnshire. Take on adrenaline-fuelled activities like Jacob’s ladder, canoeing and archery. Your team will cheer you along every step of the way, sharing in every challenge and every success.
- Live Life – Next up, you’ll spend five days living at The University of Bedfordshire, gaining crucial life skills from public speaking to basic first aid.
- Do Good – Back at home, you and your team will devise a social action project based on an issue you feel passionate about. You have the skills and confidence to do anything – the more original, the better! This is your chance to feel proud by making a real difference in your community.
- Celebration – Celebrate your achievements with your fellow NCS grads and receive your certificate signed by the Prime Minister!
The following dates are available:
- St Albans: 29/06/20 – 24/07/20 (4 week)
- St Albans: 06/07/20 – 24/07/20 (3 week)
- St Albans: 13/07/20 – 07/08/20 (4 week)
- St Albans: 20/07/20 – 14/08/20 (4 week)
- St Albans: 03/08/20 – 28/08/20 (4 week)
Please contact them at www.wearencs.com or on 0800 197 8010 if you are interested.
The deadline for parent surveys has been extended to next Wednesday 12th February. Please give us your views.